Sunday, April 30, 2017

A Good Day For Flowers



                           A Good Day For Flowers
 
   It’s been a good day; I was able to work in the flower garden, who could ask for more?   The garden seems to have gotten “out of hand.”   The day lilies need divided.  The spent daffodils are smothering the iris.  The tulips are dropping their last petals.   When was it at its peak?  Did I miss something?
  Oh, the poppies are just coming on and they are gorgeous.  Lilies of the Valley hide their charm beneath mounds of green foliage.
   If I am looking for perfection in the garden, it’s not to be had.  There is always a weed (or several) that need attention;  a flower that needs dead-headed.
   For thirty-five years I have toiled and worried over this garden.  Bought, planted, shared and despaired.  It has been worth every minute.
   From my vantage point on the swing I can see forget-me-nots given to me by Jane; a fern from Edith’s garden; iris from Sandy, I don’t remember who gave me the feverfew.  It has been so faithful; returning every year, sometimes bringing the children.
   When was my garden at its best?
    I remember those first years.
Before the land was ours, that plot had been the chicken lot.  The chicken house at the end was proof.  We made it into a vegetable garden.  But it was too large for me.   As I sat at my kitchen table and looked out the window I wanted something pretty to look at.
   When I consulted Mary and Shari they agreed half of the garden  was enough for food and half would be great for flowers.  (They sell flowers).
   Spirea bushes across the middle became the dividing line;  Then we added a pergola and a swing.  A gift of peonies and I bought daffodils and tulips-but it still wasn’t a garden.
   One of those early years I confided to Mary that the garden club was coming and I had nothing blooming.  What could I do?  Her reply was, “Have a wonderful dessert”:
   A flower garden takes awhile.  There are mistakes to be made.  Foxglove and delphinium do not grow in this garden.  Believe me. I have tried.  
   Garden books had beautiful pictures of roses and clematis climbing happily together.  I planted New Dawn Rose  and Sweet Autumn Clematis.  For years I had beautiful Sweet Autumn Clematis.  Just last year when I cut the clematis to the ground did the rose have a chance.  Finally I had pink roses climbing over the pergola in June and clematis in white splendor in August.  Thirty-four years.
   Part of the joy of gardening is bringing flowers in for the kitchen table or the dining room table.  A bouquet can be sight to behold or an eye-catcher.  
I lean toward the eye- catcher.  
Vase with chicken wire for frog.

No comments:

Post a Comment