Monday, November 13, 2017

Thanksgiving, Family and More



      Most of us don’t give thanks just in November.  But we give it more thought then, knowing things slip by without proper acknowledgement. 
   For instance, now I remember to give thanks for books.  Oxford Lane Library has become my third best friend.  I request a book and pick it up a few days later at the drive-thru.  My own bookshelf is full of treasures I can look at again and again.  Some years ago a friend gave me a copy of “Mrs. Sharp’s Traditions”, by Sarah Ban Breathnach.  Nostalgia plus lovely old pictures such as the one just below. 

   Of course, thanks for family is uppermost. The telephone calls on Sunday evening keep me connected with the girls and family in the south.  How long the day would be without them.  I just have one foot in the technology world, I don’t text or skype, so the old fashioned telephone is still important.
   I learn that prayers for my nephew’s daughter are being answered; her lung transplant operation is going well.  My daughter’s share  stories of their activities and where to find chicken noodle soup in restaurants in Indianapolis.  In case I have a cold and happen to be there. I’m thankful those places exist.
   I’m thankful for new recipes, for me they are fun.  They must call for cream and chocolate to get a second look, as the one below did.  It could have been better.  Next time I will adjust the ingredients a bit.  You know, a little more cream, a little more chocolate.
Peanut butter Pie with Chocolate
   Thanks to for flowers.  Each season has something special. In autumn I bring in a geranium and slips from begonias for the bay window.  Soon it will be time for poinsettias and amaryllis.  Who can resist their charm?

   I would be remiss if I didn’t give thanks for friends, especially blog friends.  What joy it is to share.
   May each of you have many things to be thankful for.

1 comment: