Monday, March 19, 2018

If and, and, Rhubarb

     If

If I were Will Rodgers, I would read the newspapers and write something humorous.  If I were Erma Bombeck, I would generate laughter. Mother
always wanted me to be like Erma.
   If I were an intellectual I would explain nationalism, populism and anarchy.  I would tell my friends why the electoral college is as important today as it was when the constitution was written.
   If I were an activist I would solve the health care system problem.  Everyone would agree on what is best for patients, doctors, hospitals and gasp-insurance companies.
   If I were a philanthropist I would have a special day to throw $100 bills as I drove along in my Cadillac.  (I’m for American made.)
  If I were a child I would play Hide and Seek instead of tiring my thumbs with electronics.  I would fly a kite, go sled riding (not enough snow for that.)
   If I were a politician I would strive to be a statesman.
   But I am just an old woman praying for the humorists, the intellectuals, the activists, the politicians, the philanthropist and the children. 

   Then there are recipes.  Spring with fresh rhubarb is just around the corner.  (My rhubarb and strawberries came from the deepfreeze).  Enjoy.

        Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp
2 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups strawberries
¾ cup packed B.; sugar
½ cup flour
½ cup rolled oats
¾ t. cinnamon
¾ t. nutmeg
1/3 cup melted butter
Grease 8 by 8 baking pan.  Add rhubarb and strawberries.  Combine remaining ingredients and spread on top of fruit.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. 

Just the right amount of rhubarb tang!




No comments:

Post a Comment