Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Skimp or Splurge

   I have done my share of penny pinching, but who's to say how we spend
our money? (Our spouse, if we have one).
   Over the span of our lives we may change from skimping to splurging.  Or the other way around.
   We my splurge and skimp at the same time, on different things. (When no one is watching).
I knew a rich woman who sent out checks in recycled envelopes.  I wonder what she splurged on.
   My confession is that I splurge on food.
   On Saturday when I drove to the grocery I contemplated an Angus Philly sandwich to take home for my lunch.  The beef is delicious.
   First, the supermarket.  A bright and beautiful greenhouse of flowers is the first thing you see.  Someone's splurge.  I hurried on to the gorgeous display of fruits and vegetables. A fresh pineapple went in my cart.  The green beans were young and crisp.  I managed the blankety-blank plastic bag to buy beans.
   No one was coming home that week-end so I purchased a small bag of potatoes.
   The display of seafood and meats was over-whelming. Previously I bought crab cakes(imitation crab) , but that day I bought $9 a pound cod.
   The cinnamon almonds were on special.  Soon my list and then some was complete. But I wasn't finished splurging.
   The Red Box Movie Rental was at the store exit.  The credit card didn't seem to connect.  I asked a stranger to help, it was easy for him.
   Content with my goodies, I drove home.  Then I remembered the Angus Philly sandwich.
   Oh well, another day!

Displaying photo.JPG
Add caption
                          Cook whole beans until fork tender.  Add butter and salt.   Parboil potatoes until almost done. Finish cooking in skillet with small amount of oil till crisp. For fish, bring skillet to temp, add small amount of oil.  Dredge fish in flour and Old Bay Seasonings. Brown on one side, if fish is thick cover with lid until done.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment